Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring break and Tiresias

Obviously I'm not enjoying break on a some beautiful, warm beach, but sitting in Livingston watching it snow and trying to catch up on reading. I'm glad we've left Greek tragedy behind - too emotion-filled. I did enjoy the reading I've done using feminist literary theory, Trojan Women and Iphigenia - Literary Theory remains my least favorite Eng Lit class, but appears it has interesting uses after all.

My assigned reading is Tiresias - found a couple of interesting websites while looking for more information:
tedhughesovid.blogspot.com/2007/03/brucedean

relates some details of a recent performance of Ted Hughes' translation. We've discussed so many background stories of Greek gods/goddesses, most of which I didn't know, I tried to connect some of the stories. I was interested in Tiresias's transgendered esperiences. This website was good: http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/metamorphoses/a/Tiresias.htm

Found another good site concerning snakes/sex which told more of Tiresias's story before he was questioned by Juno and Jupiter. I like the connections to T.S. Eliot's "The Waste Land," and Woolf's "Orlando," a really intriguing story. Also interesting to note that Tiresias is an icon for the transgendered community. That site:
http://www.sexualfables.com/Why-Snakes-Know-About-Sex.php

If I knew how to do it I would put the engraving here, but it's of Tiresias by Johann Ulrich Krauss, from a 1690 edition of "Metamorphoses."

Hope everyone is too busy having fun rather than reading this in the next few days....

No comments:

Post a Comment