Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another translation of "Antigone"

Friday 2/6 we were asked to find another translation of Antigone. The one I have is in Literature - An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry and Drama. Antigone was translated by Dudley Fitts and Robert Fitzgerald. I went to the translation we are using in 213 and found the lines I had marked when reading, the ones where Creon refers to Antigone, and the conflict between men and women. Although we have discussed the conflict between male and female language, Creon, in both translations is much more concerned about the "place" of women and not just the differences between the sexes. While concerned about an individual defying the edicts of society I believe Creon is more concerned with a female defying the wishes, or proclamation, of a male. In the Woodruff translation, lines 484-485, Creon says;
Listen, if she's not punished for taking the upper hand,
Then I am not a man. She would be a man!
In the Fitts & Fitzgerald translation Scene II lines 82-3;
Who is the man here,
She or I, if this crime goes unpunished?

And in Woodruff, lines 524-5;
Go to Hades, then, and if you have to love, love someone dead.
As long as I live, I will not be ruled by a woman.
In Fitts & Fitzgerald, scene II, lines 118-9, don't refer at all to Antigone being female;
Go join them, then; if you must have your love,
Find it in Hell!


In Creon's exchange with Haemon, in Woodruff, lines 678-80;
And there must be no surrender to a woman.
No! If we fall, better a man should take us down.
Never say that a woman bested us!
In Fitts & Fitzgerald, scene III, lines 47-8;
And no woman shall seduce us. If we must lose,
Let's lose to a man, at least! Is a woman stronger than we?

Other translations were read aloud in class on Wed 2/11, Antigone's opening speech, this is Fitts & Fitzgerald's translation;
Ismene, dear sister,
You would think that we had alaready suffered enough
For the curse on Oedipus:
I cannot imagine any grief
That you and I have not gone through. And now-
Have they told you of the new decree of King Creon?

Woodruff's translation is full of images. I like it better. I also think Woodruff's translation brings out more of male/female conflict throughout the entire drama, not just the few lines I focused on.

It was strange that you asked the class on 2/11 if we had experienced the death of someone,
it is the date my dad died when I was 16. I don't know if this classifies as "suffering"
but it has definitely affected how I have viewed and experienced the world since that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment